Sunday, March 1, 2009

Rock


Location: Parking Lot near the ARC

I found this rock on my way to class near the parking lot that is located beside the ARC. I was trying to think of ideas for this blog and I remembered something I had seen in the Art21 documentary. The first artist we viewed, Vija Celmins, had pieces that were photographs of arrangements of rocks and their cast duplicates. She had made this natural thing into art. However, in my opinion the rock alone is not art. Art has to be something that has been man made or at least modified by a human. Since the rock shown here is just something I picked up, it's still just a rock. The fact that I took a picture of it is only for demonstrative purposes. I didn't pose it with other objects or change the colors or lighting. It's just an example of an every day, often overlooked natural object.

No comments:

Post a Comment