Wednesday, April 22, 2009

La Jetee

I was able to watch the beginning of the film more closely and critically until I got really absorbed in the story in the latter part. Some of the pictures of the people were shown for what seemed like a really long time while the narrator said quite a bit about them. I found myself kind of willing the pictures to move or change to adjust with the narration. In contrast, the pictures of the destruction of Paris were shown too quickly for me to take in all the aspects of each picture. It was like the artist was showing us that the damage to the city was so unfathomable that there was no way to grasp it. Looking at the still pictures also made me feel more controlled. It was as if I was being forced to look at something even if it was unpleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment